Broad searches for grants
- US government grants (includes NSF, DOE and more)
- Community of Science
- List of foundations and federal agencies
Check with your institution to see if they subscribe to subscription services such as:
- SPIN search from InfoEd
- Your institution’s Grants Office/Office of Sponsored Research!
Grants targeted for faculty at PUI
- Research Corporation
Cottrell College Science Awards — For tenured or tenure-track faculty in non-Ph. D. granting department.
Cottrell Scholar Awards — Applicants must be in the third year of first tenure-track position at Ph.D granting department.
Because of a recent strategic planning initiative, eligibility criteria for Research Corporation grants may have changed. Check the RC website for the most accurate information.
- NSF RUI (Research in Undergraduate Institutions)
“RUI” is an umbrella designation applied to proposals submitted from undergraduate institutions to standard NSF programs. The RUI designation requires submission of additional materials describing the impact of the research on the institution and has a modified review process.
- NSF ROA (Research Opportunity Award)
ROAs are designed to support collaboration between faculty at undergraduate institutions and NSF-funded projects at other institutions. Any PI with current NSF funding can apply for an ROA supplement to support research by a collaborator at a primarily-undergraduate institution.
- Murdock Charitable Trust (for Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana)
Murdock College Science Research Program, Research Start-up Grants for New Science Faculty
- Fulbright Scholars
- Guggenheim Foundation
- Humboldt Foundation – for research in Germany, age under 40:
Conference, workshop and short-term visit support:
- Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics
The KITP Scholars Program supports theoretical physicists at PUIs. Each award funds a total of three round trips and up to six weeks of local expenses at the Institute, to be used over a period of up to three years.
- Institute for Nuclear Theory
The INT has programs and workshops in nuclear theory and its intersections with particle physics, astrophysics, atomic physics, and condensed matter physics.
European Centre for Theoretical Studies in Nuclear Physics and Related Areas
- International School of Nuclear Physics in Erice, Sicily
- Gordon Conferences
Ask the Conference Chair to submit a request for support from the PUI fund for a qualifying candidate. Requests from a conference attendee will not be accepted. The PUI award ($600) is available for two (2) research-active scientists from a PUI. See http://www.grc.org/chairing.aspx
- Some conference organizers are willing to help with expenses for faculty from PUI’s. It is always worth asking!
Research funding for students:
- NSF REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates)
- The Nucleus (Resources for physics and astronomy undergraduates): (REUs and other summer research programs)
- RISE: Research internships in Germany – to work with a German Ph.D. student
Funding for student participation in conferences:
- CEU (Conference Experience for Undergraduates)
Held at the Fall Meeting of the APS Division of Nuclear Physics, for undergraduates who have conducted research in nuclear physics, and have not yet entered their senior year.
- Many APS and AAPT meetings have modest travel grants available for students.